Saturday, October 07, 2006

Jack Straw... a lefty with balls?

I'm interested by what Jack Straw has had to say about muslims and headscarves. Is it just mere co-incidence that at a time where tensions are so high between ethnic groups in this country, and social conservatism is almost a thing of the past in the Conservative Party, Jack Straw makes these comments?

Today's newspapers are full of the story. The level of reporting and language used by the national press is verging on the inciteful. People read and believe newspapers. For most it is their only view of the world outside their busy lives. They believe what they read as being gospel and when they read an adjacent story in the biggest selling newspaper in the country that proud ex-servicemen are being victimised by muslims people can get very resentful very quickly.

Jack Straw is playing a very clever game; as are the Labour Party. They know that the Tory party are presenting the sort of image traditional supporters find hard to stomach and see a populist opportunity. I have just voted on an online poll (very unscientific, but a barometer of populist opinion nonetheless) for my local commercial radio station. 93% of people agree with Straw.

My parents went balistic last night watching a news item about what is in the Sun newspaper today. People react to statements like Jack Straw's and they get even angrier when they read supporting articles in mass read newspapers.

I must confess that I actually agree with Straw. I had a councillor surgery this morning and I would be hugely discouraged if I were approached by a Niqab wearing constituent. Actually, scrub that last statement, I actually think my reaction would be more intimidated. It pisses me off that you can't walk into a bank or post office with a motorbike helmet on yet you can with a burka. It just isn't fair but we are becoming almost petrified to say so. The reason for this reticence is due entirely to the culture of left wing liberal crap which we have been associated with for the last 10 years.

Is it little wonder I am increasingly hating this country. If people like Jack Straw and Rebekah Wade get their way I'm going to be hating it for a lot longer.

No comments: