Sunday, January 07, 2007

Saddam's toast... Iraq rejoices - part 2

Ok now he has been hung. I saw the pictures on YouTube (you know, the ones from that mobile phone which actually sees his swing) and I have heard the bleating from the likes of Prescott, Blair and Brown. They claim that the killing and manner of how Hussain was taunted before he died was 'wrong' and 'deplorable'. I disagree entirely.

I will be the first to admit that I was a little jittery about watching another human being executed, that is surely only natural. I was nonplussed about the shouting and taunts aimed at Saddam as he waited to die - I couldn't understand a word they said. I was actually rather intimidated by the rasping, gruff indignation of the dictator as he answered his critics. What I did think about, though, were the hundreds and thousands of totally innocent civilians who were gassed and summarily executed during his reign, and at his behest, for simply having a difference of opinion to him. These women and children had no trial, they enjoyed no last meal before being put to a death far crueler and much more painful than the swift compound fracture of the spinal vertabrae.

So for all those who venture opinions regarding this man's execution I would ask that you think about all those who's deaths were not subject to the rule of law and remember why this vile dictator was sentenced to death in the first place.

No comments: